AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New equipment salesman
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

aNullValue
Posted 5/9/2024 11:50 (#10734475 - in reply to #10733915)
Subject: RE: New equipment salesman

Fairfield County, Ohio, USA
At the risk of turning this into a rant, all of the following are things that I would rather you not do, and all of these have happened to me in the last few months:

Don't simply show up and assume that someone will be there.

Don't turn visits into prayer time. I'm a Christian just like most folks here, but that doesn't mean I want you to school me on when/where I need to pray, particularly when I'm in a bad mood because you're late for your delivery. Oh, and praying with me that you make the sale is the fastest way I know of to ensure that you'll never get another dollar from me.

Don't be prejudiced against women. I am not going to go stop my mom or sister from doing whatever it is they're doing, just because you arbitrarily think it's too much for them.

Don't show up (appointment or not) and then sit in your truck on your phone for an extended period of time. If it's some kind of personal emergency/situation that can't be avoided, fine; I don't want to be unreasonable. But barring that, just no. Modern phones support sending text messages while you're talking; you could send me a text warning me that you're there but it'll be a while. Then I could go do something else for half an hour while you deal with whatever's going on.

Don't ignore email, text messages, or phone calls. It's your job to meet the customer in whatever way they want to communicate with you. I work in town during the day most days, and that job has me in a lot of meetings. I often can't answer the phone during the day, but text messages and emails are fine.

Don't get upset if you're asked to verify your quote's accuracy. (I recently asked for a quote from a precision tech salesman, and it wasn't right, and it was *obviously* not right -- he included two different harnesses that serve the same function. He got pissed when I asked him to double-check that we really need both parts, and told me that he's the expert, not me, and that if he's wrong then we'll just have to return the extra part. I placed the order and whomever entered it for processing caught his mistake and removed the extra part before it was fulfilled.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)