AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New equipment salesman
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

c_mayer
Posted 5/9/2024 07:14 (#10734109 - in reply to #10733915)
Subject: RE: New equipment salesman

Jeffersonville, OH
You picked a terrible time to jump into equipment sales...

Some good advice here.

I'll say this, LEARN THE USED EQUIPMENT BUSINESS. Most dealers and salesman these days want to sell new, and to a point, the OEM's push you to that...but, there is far more market in remarketing your used inventory, far more potential business, and in a lot of cases, less headaches. Sure, you get a bad one every once in a while, but it will work itself out.

There is enough business out here for everyone, new, used, junk, doesn't matter...and as a salesman, it shouldn't matter to you if the guy wants to spend $600 or $6 million, treat him like a human and deal with them.

I'll also say, look around at company websites, and do better than they do on pictures. We sell a TON online, and have very few problems because we try to show everything as honest as possible. Take lots of pictures, and if there's a problem you see, DON'T hide it, just show it. If it's a big deal, prepare for questions about it...if it's little, well, we always say "that will give them something to talk about." I don't mean that we're trying to get out of fixing things, but to us, it makes no sense to bring a unit in we just took on trade, and let my picky guys in the shop spend $5K putting every little thing back to brand new, when the next guy may or may not care about those things. Sure, if the mirrors are hanging off a $200K tractor, fix them...but if the SMV is faded and a brake light is busted on a 2000 model combine, let the next guy tell you if it's a deal breaker. It's way too easy to let your shop bury you in a trade unit before you know if you need to do it...then you end up with a unit that's too high and you lose your butt after paying interest on it for 6 months and dropping the price to where it should have been in the first place.

These are a few things that work for us...but may not work everywhere because we are light on management since it's my Brother and myself running the show, and have long time employees who know the business and know what we expect.

Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)