AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carbon Intensity Score and Ethanol - Tax Credits Sell for CASH in 2025-2028
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 5/7/2024 11:47 (#10731885 - in reply to #10731231)
Subject: RE: Carbon Intensity Score and Ethanol - Tax Credits Sell for CASH in 2025-2028

EC Nebraska
Hilltop Husker - 5/6/2024 20:01

No I believe the data from OK state and auburn have all found. They all have to deal with co2 depletion. Co2 enrichment is very useful In many greenhouse situations.

They only focus on the co2 in their studies. Not the relation between the co2 along with oxygen and nitrogen. The oxygen level in a greenhouse is much higher than In the general atmosphere. So not an actual comparison would for outdoor plants. So the ratios of co2, o2 and n2 aren't representative of real world conditions.

It messes up the formation of oaa a precursor acid for photosynthesis. Just as mixing oxygen and hydrogen doesn't automatically make water you need the correct environment for oaa to be produced.

I have seen studies where elevated CO2 without increasing other nutrients can lower the concentration of the other nutrients in the grain. Basically diluting the micro nutrients unless they are supplemented along with the CO2. But that can be dealt with.

But I have a hard time seeing how CO2 levels below 1000 ppm are going to cause the kind of issues you're talking about in the field. The levels of O2 and N2 are pretty much constant in the open atmosphere. CO2 is a tiny concentration compared to O2 and N2. It's not really changing the ratio that much.
I could see something like that happening with the extremes you could find in a greenhouse, but not open field conditions.

There have been a number of open field studies comparing the response of C3 and C4 plants to enhanced CO2 levels. Responses vary, but they never show enhanced CO2 to be detrimental.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aas9313

Palmer Amaranth is C4, isn't it?

Palmer amaranth grown under 750 ppm of CO2 was 15.5% taller, displayed 10% more leaf area (cm²), 18% more stem dry matter, and had a 28.4% increase in volume (m³) compared to 410 ppm of CO2. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-41121-5.pdf

I would take your reports as indications that different things might happen under extreme greenhouse conditions, but that doesn't appear to be what's happening in open field conditions.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)