AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey John b ,others,question on statins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/30/2024 21:29 (#10724314 - in reply to #10724180)
Subject: RE: improvement in heart disease but no improvement in all cause mortality

Pittsburg, Kansas

hlstark - 4/30/2024 18:44 Here is study from Sweden Primary prevention with statins was associated with 17% reduced risk of all-cause mortality, 15% reduced risk of cardiovascular mortality, and in women, 34% reduced risk of MI. Those links you referred are in the minority opinion of the benefits of statin drugs. I will put my trust in the majority medical opinion. The majority have interpreted these studies and have found there to be a cardiovascular benefit from the use of statins.

See my reply above about relative vs absolute risk. Then go look at the actual study and see how many participants died on the placebo compared to the treatment. Then figure up how many people have to take the drug for how many years to save one life. I bet you will be surprised. It will not sound nearly as impressive once you see the actual numbers.

I fully support it is everyone's individual decision. It should be an informed decision. Different people have different ideas on the risks they are willing and want to take. It is better when people understand the risk and are informed so they can make a good decision for themselves. The drug companies are doing what is best for them and their shareholders. That is not always in sync with their customers best interest, in my opinion.

Edited by John Burns 4/30/2024 21:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)