AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

We're taking a trip soon and I want to rent a Tesla. Opinions??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IHC 1470
Posted 5/9/2024 02:47 (#10733981 - in reply to #10733076)
Subject: RE: We're taking a trip soon and I want to rent a Tesla. Opinions??

Idaho

Ed Boysun - 5/8/2024 07:24

No one is forced to use the autonomous driving and many don't. 
Most of the driver assist safety features on a Tesla or the new ICE cars can be turned off. 
To put things in perspective, humans driving all types of cars still manage to kill themselves and others at a rate exceeding 40K per year in the USA. If you present a car that monitors driver attention and drowsiness, I don't see how that is a bad thing. 
Further, to say that a car with a screen is more confusing than a dash full of gauges and switches is a bit puzzling to me. It is perfectly feasible to drive my X without the huge center screen. Many of the most used controls, that one would have to reach for a knob or switch, to access in a normal car are either handled automatically or by pressing one button on the steering wheel and speaking. "I'm Hot" or "I'm Cold" will adjust the temp in the cabin in 3 degree increments. "Set temp to 74 degrees" makes that happen. No one needs to divert their attention as much as hunting up the proper knob takes, to adjust the temp.
If a screen centered car is deadly, what does that make my KW? So I need to keep an eye on the oil temp for engine, oil temp in diffs, oil pressure, coolant temp, boost, intake air temp, charging voltage, and adjust the cabin temp. That isn't confusing at all **

Ed let me ask you a couple of questions if I may. In the past 27 years how many total strangers have driven you around? I have had the privilege of approximately 2500 people now. So when I say the more new devices that are installed on vehicles in the name of safety the more we are dumbing down the drivers I do have some back ground to work with. Yes they can make for a safer driving environment if the driver is properly trained in the use of said device, what happens when there is a failure and there is no basic training?

Within this past week I have had the pleasure of a ride in a new Chev pickup. All the latest safety features. However the driver chose to enter into a passing zone in the left lane and the driver following us chose to pass us on the right  The truck was giving off warning signals which the driver apparently missed. Would autonomous driving helped or would it have hindered. Point is if the driver of truck is not aware there is an issue happening and where they should be when driving manually how would they correct it if there was an equipment malfunction?

Couple years ago tested an applicant that had been tagged by law enforcement for poor driving. They tested with me three times with three failures. After the third failure I told them I would not test them again until they had completed a senior citizen driving course. All the time they were insisting they were a good driver had driven many miles over the years. Never been in an accident and law enforcement was picking on them. Would you want to see them in an autonomous vehicle if they no longer really had the skills to control the machine if needed? Would they be the one who would use it because they felt it would keep them from getting into trouble? Why even give them the chance.

I know we as humans cause lots of accidents. I was in one during a test where the applicant did not do what they should have done. It was a maneuver not done correctly, that resulted in a collision but no injuries. Would an autonomous vehicle do it better?  

To drive a KW for pay requires a commercial license correct with maybe the exception of a farm truck. To get said license requires testing and showing you have the skills to drive said machine. Part of that is a quick gauge scan of instruments while safely driving the truck, at least it was when I got my CDl. Same thing if you are transporting people except you need additional endorsements for that and if driving a school bus you need even more endorsements and driving test in type at least in Idaho. It may just be me but I am not comfortable looking at a screen trying to make out what it is saying when I can just by feel with out taking my eyes off the road feel across a row of switches until I get to the switch I know turns off or on what ever I want. Be it unloading/loading lights on a school bus or heater controls in a charter bus. Don't know about your but I can quickly scan gauges and know things are OK just by where the needle is. Do not need to know numbers just location of needle. 

I am aware of a very costly accident that happened in this area last fall that probably would have been prevented if proper training would have happened. Class A driver but had just gotten the auto transmission restriction lifted. Going down steep grade and I will assume not in the correct gear. Probable tried down shifting which did not work. Resulted in a John Deere sprayer being totaled, truck being totaled and a D6 Cat on a truck trailer headed up said hill being messed up too. The only good thing that can be said was no one was killed. All the safety features in the world are not going to help if you do not know the basics. If you do not know how to drive a standard transmission beyond being able to get a license maybe you should get some training as ABS brakes sure are not going to save your hide and they did not in this case. 

How many people get into trouble looking at a cell phone while driving? You think with autonomous driving they will be paying more attention to the road than now or are they going to become even more distracted? Your guess is as good as mine, do you think the people that hit the motorcycle, student unloading off the bus or tangling with the fire truck were actually paying attention? 

Don't get me wrong I enjoy auto steer in the tractor very much and can run longer hours and be more refreshed at the end of the day yet I have to know my surroundings and when I maybe better to turn it off. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)