AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can you run?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/7/2024 10:04 (#10731781 - in reply to #10731498)
Subject: Atkins diet

Pittsburg, Kansas

I also did the Atkins diet for maybe a month or so early on when first diabetic. I only wish I would have stuck with it because it was working with my blood sugar. Atkins was way ahead of his time. The problem was life got in my way. Small kids to feed and pizza was an Atkins downfall. Just too hard eating out with friends and kids to stay on it. But I sure would have stayed healthier, not ever went on insulin shots, and not gained the extra hundred pounds had I stayed on it.

Dr Eric Westman was an early student of Atkins. He did not believe it to begin with either, but became a proponent and has managed a weight loss clinic at Duke University for well over 20 years now. An excellend doctor and resource. (I had the privilage of meeting him last year on a Low Carb Cruise)

Atkins did not fully understand all the mechanism and why it worked, he just knew it did from the results. But modern science has now shown the mechanisms and reason cutting most of the carbs out of the diet works. It lowers insulin levels. Insulin levels are the key to burning body fat. Giving a diabetic insulin shots is kind of like giving a drink to an alcoholic to help him with his alcoholism. The problem is too much insulin, not too little. The medical community for the most part focuses nearly exclusively on controlling blood sugar levels. Blood sugar levels are VERY important. But they do it by increasing insulin either through drugs that squeeze the pancreas for more or exogenous insulin shots. They help the blood sugar issue while making the underlying insulin root cause problem actually worse. They treat the symptoms of the disease rather than treating the root problem of the disease. They focus on treatments of the disease rather than curing the problem that causes the disease.

Beer is definitely high carb. I will have one once in a while, especially in the winter after diving in Bonaire. I hardly ever drink one while at home. Dry wine is better. Alcohol in any form is poision and the body metabolizes it with priority to get rid of it. Surprisingly alcohol and fructose (sugar is half fructose and half glucose) are metabolized in the same exclusive pathway through the portal vein directly to the liver. A fact most people do not know. If a person wants fatty liver disease just drink too much of either one. They both go directly to liver fat (after the body uses what it can for energy).

A beer will instantly knock me out of ketosis as will any high carb drink or food.

Edited by John Burns 5/7/2024 10:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)