AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making hamburger jerky
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/7/2024 08:57 (#10731699 - in reply to #10731548)
Subject: espresso coffee machine

Pittsburg, Kansas

LOL.

It is an espresso coffee machine. Friends in Bonaire got us started on coffee after supper with them and they had a single boiler espresso machine. We have both our birthdays while down there and in my usual fashion of not getting my wife anything I ask her what she wanted for her birthday. She surprisingly to me says an espresso machine like theirs. So in my thirst for knowledge I do a deep dive in the Alice in Wonderland rabbit hole of espresso machines. In my craziness research we end up with a dual boiler machine pretty high up in the line of consumer (not commercial) machines. It is a Profitec Pro 600 dual boiler machine and of course if you are going to make espresso you have to have a good grinder to grind espresso fine so it is a Eureka Mignon Libra that doses by weight. Of course that probably means nothing to you but to a coffee aficinado (which I am not) that is like telling another farmer I have a certain 4wd articulated tractor with a 50' air seeder. 

It is pretty and who knew making coffee could be so complicated. :-)

When we first were married (1982) I had recently been to the bank to borrow half my net worth to pay off my newly X wife. I had never had an operating note nor borrowed to buy machinery ever. I had a small loan on a used pickup truck (that the X got) and was making payments on some land under private treaty. But other than those two things had never borrowed farming or personal money. That all changed with the divorce and was never out of debt till just before our farm clean up auction (after selling half our machinery and one farmstead) a few years ago. Suddenly out of debt and money in the bank (less after the IRS got their cut).
Our first two or three years of marriage we had a 12" black and white AC/DC TV. New wife and I bought a farm together within a year or two of peak prices for land then the 80's farm crisis hit. To say money was tight was an understatement. Her and I cut and sold firewood to put food on the table over the winters.

All of those meandering thoughts to point out she did without for quite a lot of years. And when we did get better off and could afford more most of it went to newer and better farm machinery and expansion of the farm business. She grew up in her family then in the 80's becoming a new farmer (after being a professional seamstress) on pretty tight purse strings.

So now when she finally decides she wants something I tend to go overboard on getting something nice and quality. She will vasillate on the price of this over that and I will tell her she ain't getting any younger and to go ahead and get what she wants, not what she thinks she should have. Time to enjoy whatever time we have left on this Earth while we still have the health and mind to do so. It is after all only spending our kids inheritance :-) (They will do quite alright anyway). Such is the result of her quilting machine. And espresso machine. And vehicles. And motorcycles. And.........

She did without for a good part of 40 years while we built a business. Now that the business that she was instrumental in growing has closed up shop she deserves something nice.

Maybe some day we will learn to make a decent espresso. Probably not. We tend to buy cheap coffee beans, LOL

Edited by John Burns 5/7/2024 09:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)