AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dead calf just after working
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nickeischeid
Posted 5/4/2024 07:42 (#10728105 - in reply to #10727990)
Subject: RE: Dead calf just after working

North central TX
Allergic reaction protocol for people (so equate that to up to about 300lbs): mild/moderate reaction, which includes rash/hives and mild wheezing- 25-50mg of benadryl (we use vials and give it IM or IV for a quicker effect) Severe, which is serious airway compromise including tongue and facial swelling, audible wheezing (so without a stethoscope) hypotension, and altered mental status (eg. when a calf isn't acting like pen mates and looks ready to lay down) Severe reactions get 0.3mg (0.3mL) of epi 1/1, 000 IM ONLY. We also still give the benadryl for the antihistamine, as well as a corticosteroid (we use solumedrol) to help prevent a rebound reaction-though most people don't need it.

Long story short - you're safe giving calves up to 0.3mg(mL) of epi 1:1, and I'd personally be comfortable giving cattle from 400lb and up 0.5, knowing that over 1000lb may need repeat dose if I don't see the correction I want. Just remember- DO NOT GIVE IT IV.
That's only for epi 1:10,000 concentration. Obviously, I'm not a vet, but I did stay at a holiday in express one time. And I've treated dozens of people for allergic reaction and all we are is animals too. .

Edited by Nickeischeid 5/4/2024 07:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)