AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hydraulic flow switch reliability
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/3/2024 10:11 (#10727217 - in reply to #10727142)
Subject: RE: hydraulic flow switch reliability

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Somewhere along the line, I believe I saw a system that did use exactly what you describe. They had some magnets attached to the steering wheel or shaft spaced around the circumference. A Hall effect sensor was placed so the magnets would pass over the sensor as the operator turned the wheel. This created a pulse to signal the steering system to disengage since the operator had turned the wheel.

My two older Deere 8xxx use the diagnostic port where the pressure changes if I turn the wheel. This in turn signals the system to disengage. I have not had any problem with that approach. My old STX-450 Quad uses a Trimble 750 running a Nav II and an external valve. I'm not certain how the disengage is installed on it but it works fine.

My Steady Steer assisted steering in my combine senses when I grab the wheel and overcome the motor's resistance. This works but I prefer to just have the remote engage switch set so that a button push engages the steering and another button push disengages the steering. I routinely just push the button as I approach a normal headland.

In case of an Emergency or some other problem, grabbing the wheel does still disengage.

I think your solution could be fine but I haven't seen a real need to change with my equipment. I don't fear that the pressure switch will fail due to use. The alignment and mounting of the magnets and Hall effect sensor could be touchy.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)