AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere 3 terminal Power outlet ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/9/2024 06:09 (#10734045 - in reply to #10733811)
Subject: RE: Deere 3 terminal Power outlet ?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The 3 pin terminal has 3 pins with two being parallel and the third running the other direction. The one running the other direction is ground and is not fused. With ground terminal to the bottom, one terminal should be 12V switched power (orange wire). The other terminal should be 12V constant power (red wire). They are fused separately, a relay is involved with the keyed terminal. I would check all fuses. This is assuming a factory install. If someone installed this after the fact, anything is possible.

I would remove each fuse one at a time and visually inspect them. Depending on the tractor, all fuses might be in the same location or there may be more than one fuse block. The owner's manual might be helpful for this step.

A blown fuse is often visually obvious. Note any sign of heat distortion. You could check with a meter also although most meters would not put much actual load on the fuse so the results might be deceiving.

Two weeks ago I had confusion on my older STX-450 concerning the work lights. I pulled and checked each fuse one by one (to insure that I got them back in the correct locations). I noticed evidence of heat distortion and discoloration on one fuse. I tested it with my meter and it tested good but was still suspect. While I was at it, I removed and checked all the other fuses. The other tested good and appeared fine. I replaced the suspect fuse with new and my problem was solved.

I feel it is good practice to remove and reinsert the blade type fuses occasionally even though there are no problems. This tends to "clean up" any bits of corrosion that may be forming.

The wiring pattern of switched, constant hot and ground is pretty well standardized between brands when the 3 pin connector is installed at the factory. I believe there may have been a few Ford tractors that reversed the two power pins. Some brands fuse the keyed terminal with a fairly small fuse which may bot be adequate for the task. Putting in an oversize fuse is not recommended. Using a relay would be a better plan in those situations.

With the electric air compressor on our planter, a pair of heavy wires is attached directly to the battery. This pair is what actually does the "work" of running the air compressor. The hot lead of that pair, goes through a relay which is controlled by the key switched terminal of the 3 pin connector. That means the air compressor will only get power when the tractor key switch is ON. That wire is triggering the relay and is acting as a signal to close the relay. I suspect this was done using a relay instead of directly running the air compressor off of the 3 pin connector due to the electrical load imposed by the air compressor.

Edited by tedbear 5/9/2024 10:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)