AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steady Steer on Hagie STS with AWS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/8/2024 09:35 (#10733084 - in reply to #10733054)
Subject: RE: Steady Steer on Hagie STS with AWS

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Thanks for the quick reply and honest appraisal of the situation. I planned on installing Steady Steer on the former Hagie but did not get it completed. The first install kit I got was for a newer Hagie and did not fit on the older STS-10. I did get the generic kit which was correct for the STS-10. According to the Ag Leader chart it should fit on this somewhat newer Hagie STS 12. I did install the steering wheel part of the kit but didn't finish the complete install. Now I've traded that sprayer off.

You mention the certain behavior based on speed. I believe you are correct. I believe I heard that with my sprayer that Front Wheel Steer or All Wheel steer is available and controlled by the F2 button on the small Hagie display while moving in 1st gear. If the operator shifts to 2nd gear, I believe the system overrides the All Wheel Steering and will revert to Front Wheel steering only without touching the F2 switch. That may mean that shifting from 2nd to 1st for turning around (hand is on the joystick anyway) will shift to All Wheel Steer. Once the operator shifts back up to 2nd gear, the system reverts to Front Wheel Steer only. That might work quite nicely.

Changing the modeling to make auto swath more accurate may not be an issue for us since we have very few point rows. That would mean the operator would only need to use the Joystick to slow down and then shift down. If this was done prior to the Headland, Turn Path might be able to handle the turn around as desired.

Your analysis of the Steady Steering cabling makes sense to me. Especially the part about a relay. The dealer who I purchased the sprayer said that the automatic kickout was not available for my Hagie STS-12 due to its age. I'm guessing that if I got the Steady Steer cable with the relay and extra branch, that I would not have a place to plug it in to my older Hagie. If that is the case, I might just as well move the combine cable into the Hagie for the spraying season also.

I thank you for the reply and the work of looking into the cable. Since you have had generally good results with Steady Steers and OnTrac3's, I believe we will probably plan on moving the SCM and cable from the combine to the Hagie STS-12. I won't have the kick out relay and branch but maybe my sprayer wouldn't support it anyway. My Ag Leader dealer mentioned that he had seen customers who mounted the SCM in the bottom of the buddy seat. It would be well protected there and should be easily visible if one needed to check the status LEDs.

Edited by tedbear 5/9/2024 10:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)