AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steady Steer on Hagie STS with AWS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/8/2024 08:20 (#10732989)
Subject: Steady Steer on Hagie STS with AWS

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have Ag Leader's Steer Command Z2 in the planting tractor. I have Ag Leader's Steady Steer on my Deere combine and they both work very well. I use an Ag Leader 7500 with Terra Star Pro C in both rigs.

I purchased a used 2010 Hagie STS-12 that we will be using this year with an InCommand 1200, Auxiliary Input Module and an original Liquid Product Control module (Not L2) for controlling the spray. I have installed the spray components and in yard testing seems fine. I had these components in an older Hagie STS-10 where they worked fine. The previous Hagie used a Servo hydraulic valve. This Hagie uses a PWM valve. The pump switch, etc seem to work properly.

I am considering moving the Steady Steer motor, ECM etc. from the combine to the Hagie STS-12. I'm curious as to the experience of others when using Steady Steer in such a sprayer. It would be the same InCommand and GPS 7500 that I use in the combine and planter tractor during those seasons. Possibly Steady Steer is just not suitable for the sprayer and I'm better off not pursuing moving it.

I'm also confused about All Wheel Steer and how this might all play together. I notice that when I created the configuration, the question came up as to whether I had AWS or not. Since I do, I answered yes. I noticed on the lower right corner of the screen there is an icon representing a sprayer. Pushing the icon causes the wheel depictions in the icon to change from gray to green. I was told this changes the modeling of the onscreen boom depiction to better show the true location of the boom when turning. This might be important when dealing with Auto Swath. With our mostly rectangular fields, we have few point rows so maybe that wouldn't be much of an issue for us.

I'm confused as to how the steering sequence without auto steer is commonly performed. I am of the opinion that for "normal" straight row spraying we would want the Steering to be in the Front Wheel steering position only but would want to push the F2 button on the Hagie display to switch to All Wheel Steer for turning around on the Headlands. If this is correct, would the operator also need to tap the Icon on the InCommand so that the modeling is more correct?

Once the turn around is made and the sprayer is aligned with the new set of rows, I'm assuming the operator would need to push the F2 button again to return to Front Wheel Steering also. Would the operator then again need to push the InCommand screen Icon to switch the modeling back to Front Wheel Only? If so would this mean that the operator needs to do two things prior to making the turn on the Headlands and then two things to return to regular steering and regular modeling. Maybe having the correct modeling is not important in our situations.

Ok, suppose the above is true. How would installing Steady Steer and maybe using Turn Path enter into the picture? I was also told that the modeling icon switching the modeling between AWS and Front Wheel steer can be done with an electrical connection between the Hagie display and the InCommand but only on newer Hagies?

Using Steady Steer and Turn Path could be very handy in the sprayer but maybe it is just not realistic. I wouldn't need much additional equipment.

Sorry for all the questions and combinations. I would be interested in any real world experiences with the equipment I have.

If Steady Steer just doesn't work very well with that spray situation, I won't bother to move it. If it works with some limitations, it would be nice to know of them and any operating tips.

Thanks for any information on this combination.

Edited by tedbear 5/8/2024 08:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)