AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Painting The Old Farmhouse
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

showboat
Posted 5/7/2024 23:25 (#10732733)
Subject: Painting The Old Farmhouse

In 1953, my parents built a new house out on the farm. I was 5......(you can do the math). Rather simple frame house, with wood siding. No bricks.
1700 sq. ft ranch style. Parents lived there for 21 years, before moving to town for a "retirement house". House got painted every few years, as needed, and "as the spirit moved". I lived there for 45 more years, painting as needed and as time permitted. Now, wife and I have moved to town to our "retirement" house, and our son lives in the house.

So we find ourselves painting the house once again this week. Probably for the 12th or 13th time in 71 years. Lots of work, but bringing back a lot of memories. We're just about finished with the first coat. Didn't do the sofett (sp ?), last time, but this time it needs it, so there's a fair amount of "overhead" work. (sore necks come with this job.) So far, we're though about 4 tubes of caulking and a gallon and a half of primer resealing locations which appear to need some new sealing, or patching spots where old paint has bubbled. (hmmmm, should have done this job a couple of years ago......) I'm pretty "picky" about how painting is done on my own properties. I do NOT use pressure washing to remove old paint......water gets into places where I don't want it. Mostly, I brush the paint, as I can do a better job of getting paint into all the "nooks and crannies" that a roller or a sprayer often misses. Hence, I work slowly. Pretty easy to use a roller on the wide, flat siding, though. But the sofett is some sort of "tongue and groove" boards my Dad bought on sale, so there are lots of grooves and slots to paint. A brush is required for a thorough job. As I said, lots of old memories coming back from watching the house being constructed, to several paint jobs with my parents and/or grandparents helping.

Hoping to apply a second coat if I don't run out of enthusiasm. I'm now mid 70's, and fortunate to still be able to do this work. But I hope to do a very good job this time...... and I'm also hoping that this will be the last time that I paint this house......hoping to be too old by the time it needs it again. showboat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)