AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AL row shutoff module configuration error
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/7/2024 05:16 (#10731488 - in reply to #10731044)
Subject: RE: AL row shutoff module configuration error

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The error message may be confusing depending on how the rows are grouped into sections. Even if it seems confusing, you must investigate to get the error message to clear.

For example with my 24 row planter I have it set up as 12-2 row sections. The 12V power from the high current source (heavier red wire) splits and literally provides 12V to each of the 24 Sure Vac clutches. The potential ground for Section 1 splits and goes to Rows 1 & 2. The potential ground wire for Section 2 splits and goes to Rows 3 & 4. and so on.

I chose to go with 12-2 row sections rather than attempting single row sections for a couple of reasons: Our fields are mostly rectangular and going from 12 sections to 22 wouldn't save much seed, A single Clutch Module can handle 12 sections. Having more sections would have required getting a second Clutch Module, wiring and frame harness. You may wonder why I said going from 12 to 22. The reason being that even with RTK (which I don't have) that the outer rows are tied together to reduce the odd situation where a single row outer row is inappropriately shut off due to GPS drift.

The "test" that my system performs on initial startup each morning and throughout the day will check to see if 12V is present on the potential ground return path. If so the system feels that a "clutch is out there" for that section. In other words the procedure for comparing the number of clutches against the configuration is useful for my planter but not 100%. If I disconnected all 12 of my even numbered clutches, while leaving the odd numbered clutches still attached, the system would not complain about a mismatch. If I have a Sure Vac clutch that is failing and not shutting oof the Vac for a row, the configuration test would not show that. The configuration match test is still valuable but does not guarantee that all clutches will perform properly.

I would be able to note the problem by observing the population reported by my STTM module as the map would show planting on a defective row into the Headlands before my ground driven planer is raised out of the ground.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)