AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rain makes grain IL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 5/8/2024 20:47 (#10733745 - in reply to #10733619)
Subject: RE: Rain makes grain IL

C IL

I have had excellent corn replanted on Memorial Day, if you get the right rain and avoid a summer heat spell.  I wouldn’t choose to do it and high yields odds are not as much in your favor, but we are very unlikely to get frosted out down here where I am.  Just shortens up the growing season some, so summer weather becomes a bigger than normal variable.

It’s not like it is the end of the world for soybeans, but early planting this is not, and we have all seen yield benefits of early bean planting made very clear in recent years.

ECMWF calling for 3” of rain on now pretty well saturated soils in the next 10 days for me, so starting after May 20 will feel make everyone have a sense of urgency next dry spell.

Expectation is a funny thing, WeatherTrends for my zip code in mid-March called for awful cold and wet weather until May 20 starting in April, so I am not as keyed up about it as sometimes.  We worked most all ground last week of March in beautiful, truly ideal conditions.  Really wishing we had worked down or sprayed that last 200 acres.

Here too much water takes away more yield than too dry, in the long term averages.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)