AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4730 Sprayer, Need Advice on Communication Error on Controllers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

shulerfarm
Posted 7/21/2022 20:27 (#9760004)
Subject: JD 4730 Sprayer, Need Advice on Communication Error on Controllers

Holly Hill, SC
Yesterday spraying I had major problems with the machine running properly (John Deere 4730 sprayer). Primarily a "Steer Controller Communication Error" occurs and then a "Communication Error" occurs regarding the tractor ECU. The throttle drops to idle with no response. Sometimes the tractor icon on the GS2 display disappears along with the spray boom display and all gauges. Sometimes the throttle will all of a sudden work again and I can spray until the next glitch. This can be 5 minutes to 30 minutes. Sometimes if the throttle does not respond in a few minutes I will shutoff and restart the machine. In a 7 hour afternoon I probably had to fight this 40 times. Even once I had a "Chassis Controller" CCU 237.31 code, and later "Hydro Handle Communication" CCU 2246.09 pop up and cause my engine to throttle down.
I have tried disconnecting the battery, running with the monitor unplugged from the corner post, steering position sensor and autosteer controller unplugged. Today I cleaned the contacts on the ECU, CCU (under the floor mat), and Boom Height Controller. Also disconnected and cleaned the ground connections near the battery and cleaned the 250 amp fuse. Battery posts look great. Everything looked clean and perfect before I cleaned them. I have also visually inspected any visible harnesses under the machine. I can not find the Steering Control Unit, it is in the parts book but no location. My latest assumption it is behind the cab in the 3" region between the cab and the solution tank. Will tackle this tomorrow.
Where is the "Steering Control Unit"? Do you think it is faulty causing all the other issues? Can it be tested?
Will the machine operate without this steering control unit? I do not need Autosteer in row crop right now. I just need the machine to spray at full throttle.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Edited by shulerfarm 7/23/2022 06:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Iowa 83
Posted 7/21/2022 21:03 (#9760076 - in reply to #9760004)
Subject: RE: JD 4730 Sprayer, Need Advice on Communication Error on Controllers

West Central Iowa
Mine can have a bad connection on right side of seat, when I sit down or get up can make it short out, it's the throttle control connection.
greenstuff
Posted 7/22/2022 18:26 (#9761358 - in reply to #9760004)

Montana
This looks like a can bus wire with a short.
shulerfarm
Posted 7/23/2022 09:56 (#9762328 - in reply to #9760004)

Holly Hill, SC
We partially removed the panel behind the cab and have only found some wires and the AC evaporator. I still can not find the steering controll unit. Anyone know where I can find this?
Steering Controller
Part Number PG200299
DescriptionSteering Controller - CONTROLLER, STEERING, NEW W/ CORE
RemarksSUB FOR RE231728 or RE251348
greenstuff
Posted 7/23/2022 11:54 (#9762495 - in reply to #9762328)

Montana
Not sure on this machine but on a 4930 the controller is behind the seat under the upholstry. Check the wires that go down to the fuse box on the side
shulerfarm
Posted 8/14/2022 08:54 (#9795802 - in reply to #9760004)

Holly Hill, SC
Sprayer is fixed! What a relief. This is what i have learned for future people looking for answers.
The steering controller is located behind the seat under the upholstery panel. If I disconnected this controller and started the machine my problem still existed except not pertaining to the steering controller.
The fix was changing all 4 of the terminators on the CAN bus wiring harness. RE207311 ($100 each). The 4 are located: Below engine dipstick at ECU, Behind seat upholstery at the SSU, at the rear of the machine near the slow moving vehicle sign at the Boom Height Controller, and front left corner of the roof panel (remove about 6 fasteners adjacent to the corner and lift panel up enough to access the terminator.) I first tried changing only the terminator at the ECU and BHC but the problem did not go away. I then moved the new terminators around to the other positions with no success. Replacing all four solved all my problems. (thanks for advice from local JD mechanic on these terminators.) One way for me to force my glitch to show up was to under machine tab, wrench, controller diagnostic, select ECU. This would typically cause my controller communication errors to pop up. Also clear all codes under the "Recent Problems" tab between tries.
Hope this helps someone with similar problems.

Edited by shulerfarm 8/14/2022 12:12
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)